Fluff and Toenails: Mainstream Media, Indie Opinion

Above all of the fluff and the toenails floats a melody, some rhythms, flickering pictures, a sensation to be had. Capture it in your computer, buy it on your high street or cram it in your senses from hijacked radio waves. Our subject is everywhere so let us pick at it like a favourite scab.

Monday will find me blogging on TV, Thursday on Film and the Weekends on Music.

Monday 22 November 2010

Back With Their Original Line Up and They Call This Progress?

Take That - Progress - 8/10

I am a 24 year old male. I don’t think that makes me a part of Take That’s immediate demographic. I have somehow managed to reach this stage of my life without really considering them in any depth, that was until their new album ‘Progress’ became the fastest selling album ever. Yes ever. Think of a truly great album, got it? This one has sold quicker. Go on try again; yep it beat that one too.

I arrive at this review with a limited knowledge of Take That. Here is what I know. Take That were formed in the early nineties by record exec types looking to form a boy band around a northern pub singer, bag of talent Gary Barlow. Progress was slow but the tried and tested ‘get the gays and the girls will follow’ approach to launching a boy band was taken (pre x-factor you must understand). Gradually they went from club act to ‘pop sensation’ with all the hysteria and tabloid drama that accompanies it. Many great pop songs later Robbie Williams left something happened involving a court case and then the remaining four called it a day. Gary Barlow continued to be talented and wrote lots of big selling songs for loads of UK artists Robbie Williams went stellar and Mark Owen try as he might didn’t really achieve much . An urban legend about Gary Barlow living in loving harmony with 90’s children’s TV presenter Andy Peters sadly proved not to be true and then a few years ago the band got back together and older and wiser made the amount of money they should have made the first time around. Without ridicules dance routines and trading on an air of credibility they targeted a wider audience, a fussy young family that shops at marks and spencer, you know the type. Then a couple of months ago it was announced that Robbie Williams would be re-joining reuniting the band’s original line up.

Having never listened to a Take That album I am sat at my keyboard in somewhat of a shell shocked stupor. It’s good. It’s actually very good. Excluding for a second the single ‘The Flood,’ the album closer resembles the work of late period Robbie Williams (you know the interesting stuff that no-one bought) and Damon Albern’s Gorrilaz than the drippy ballad territory that I expected. Is this an unusual turn? Someone tell me, I may have to buy another take that album. Gorillaz. Fuck me did I just compare Take That to Gorillaz…I did… I really did and I wasn’t doing it in a prickish way. That was a full blown genuine compliment.

Robbie Williams features heavily on the vocals and I imagine that he had a hand in some of the more esoteric lyrics. Gary Barlow, whilst I’m sure being heavily musically involved doesn’t sing as much as you would expect with Mark Owen taking more of a share than you would believe to be wise based on his thin vocal performance on previous singles, the god awful Shine being a prime example. In fact the more raw sound of Marks vocals are probably the best suited to edgier sounds on this album (Take That… Edgy sounds… Bloody hell…)

Album highlights are 'SOS' in which all the production toys are taken out of the box for Mark Owen and Robbie Williams to play with. Kidz would be amongst my favourites but for the fact that it skirts a bit too close to the Gorrillaz Feel Good Inc. (Which in turn I think has a questionably large debt to The Kinks Sunday Afternoon)

An album low point is ‘Affirmation’ which gives Howard a rare crack at the microphone with what sounds like an Ah-Ha B-side. However it is Album opener ‘The Flood’ which is for me the poorest track on the album. Its role as lead single strikes me as somewhat dishonest as it represents everything that Take That have been and not this new and relevant sound that the album goes on to play host to, though this may be the progress that the title declares.

It is unusual for an album by a mainstream pop act to have more than two or three quality songs all of which are inevitably released as singles. Seven good tracks out of ten is excellent and sures up Take That’s position as songwriters and musicians not merely pop play things.

No comments:

Post a Comment