Fluff and Toenails: Mainstream Media, Indie Opinion

Above all of the fluff and the toenails floats a melody, some rhythms, flickering pictures, a sensation to be had. Capture it in your computer, buy it on your high street or cram it in your senses from hijacked radio waves. Our subject is everywhere so let us pick at it like a favourite scab.

Monday will find me blogging on TV, Thursday on Film and the Weekends on Music.

Saturday 4 December 2010

Oh no its a top ten list...

Sorry that it has been so quiet on the blog front. I got a new job and the transition from dole bum to working lad has proved somewhat problematic for two reasons. One, the white devil dust that falls nightly and two, working is tiring, especially when you haven’t done any for months.

Anyway I’m back now so stop the moaning. There are however going to have to be some changes between now and the New Year. Both film and music reviews will be more sporadic in frequency due to the infantilising and broad nature of movie and music releases over the period of enforced festivity.

I know it may be a little too early for a best albums of 2010 list BUT you would be wrong. After having scanned the release schedule I can’t see anything of any merit on the horizon before the visit of the fat fella. So here it is; my top albums and songs of 2010 in, yes you guessed it, Haiku. I’m pretty sure this list won’t match any others out there as it is based purely on those albums that I purchased so I’m sure there are some really excellent albums missing. Feel free to let me know.

Cue the music: den ur du dur du du du…

Albums

Number 5: Yeasayer: Odd Blood


Their Odd Looking Folks
With an eclectic sounding
Ambitious Debut

Number 4: Bombay Bicycle Club: Flaws


Two albums, one year.
Flaws is the acoustic one
Masterful Construct

Number 3: Cee Lo Green: Lady Killers


Motown’s Back around
Cool as you like, though fuck you
Is ruined by curse.

Number Two: The Gaslight Anthem: American Slang


Working Class Rock Music?
Is What they say, I hear punk.
A mature album.

Number 1: Vampire Weekend: Contra


My most played tracks they
Come from this CD who knew
Itunes, it told me.



Songs

Number 1: Katy Perry: California Girls


California Girls,
We’re unforgettable and
I bet your singing.

Number 2: Eminiem ft Rihana: Love the Way you Lie


If feels almost real
Hip Hop so rarely gets close
Production is Fab

Number 3: Foals: Spanish Sahara


“Lads, Do we need a
Chorus,” “I don’t think we do.”
“And that’s the single?”

Number 4: Dan le Sac + Scrubious Pip Five Minutes


Story Telling rap
Understated and touching
Intelligent? Yes!

Number 5: The Drums Lets Go Surfing


Whistle it away
In a car in the summer
You will feel happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment