Fluff and Toenails: Mainstream Media, Indie Opinion

Above all of the fluff and the toenails floats a melody, some rhythms, flickering pictures, a sensation to be had. Capture it in your computer, buy it on your high street or cram it in your senses from hijacked radio waves. Our subject is everywhere so let us pick at it like a favourite scab.

Monday will find me blogging on TV, Thursday on Film and the Weekends on Music.

Sunday 9 January 2011

The Decemberists: The King is Dead 3/10


Depending on whom you believe the Decemberists are either partakers in the 1825 Russian uprising or a folk band from Portland Oregon. Presented with the evidence for both (a physical cd and a Wikipedia article) I have settled on the latter we all know not to trust Wikipedia don’t we. Again depending on whose council you trust folk is currently having a bit of a revival and is considered cool, if cool is a word that is still well you know… cool. I would like to nail my colours to the mast (black and white poker dots please) and declare that I am not wholly against this and have been quite an early adopter of this trend (Laura Marling, Willy Mason, Mumford and Suns). What I will say is that some American artists producing what is currently referred to as folk sails dangerously close to what I would call country, which as of yet is still totally unacceptable in a modern society (Bright Eyes et al.)

I don’t really know anything about the back catalogue or history of the Decemberists or music from this tradition so I began listening with no preconceptions and I have come to the conclusion that I really don’t like it. It just isn’t my cup of builder’s tea. I can somehow hear why other people would like it and can appreciate the song writing and to a lesser extent the musicianship and production but it just doesn't float my boat, get me any closer to Vince Vaughn or pitching a tent by the hardened old oak tree.

Some would argue that this isn’t a proper review and them people would be right! It isn’t but life is too short for me to listen to this album enough times for me to produce anymore words on the subject.

In summery I didn’t like, you might. You really shouldn’t listen to me anyway I have an extensive collection of nu-metal, novelty socks and unresolved childhood issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment