Fluff and Toenails: Mainstream Media, Indie Opinion

Above all of the fluff and the toenails floats a melody, some rhythms, flickering pictures, a sensation to be had. Capture it in your computer, buy it on your high street or cram it in your senses from hijacked radio waves. Our subject is everywhere so let us pick at it like a favourite scab.

Monday will find me blogging on TV, Thursday on Film and the Weekends on Music.

Monday 17 January 2011

Bands With Girls Names Special: Emma's Imagination and Suzi Won

Ok music reviews and something a little bit different. I am going to review another product of reality TV but to balance this out I am going to review a local unsigned band as well. Let us start with the (slightly) more famous of the two.

Emma’s Imagination: Stand Still 6/10


Scottish Singer Song Writer Emma Gillespie shot to prominence after winning Sky One’s Must Be The Music. Actually that isn’t exactly correct let me rephrase. Emma Gillespie would have shot to prominence after winning Sky One’s Must Be The Music if in fact anyone was actually watching it. Now I hadn’t ever seen Must Be The Music and came across Emma’s Imagination quite by accident on YouTube where I saw what I presume was her audition piece for the show. What I will say for Must Be The Music is that it sounds a damn site more interesting than the karaoke hen night from hell that has become the X-Factor. On the show (wait for it, this will blow your mind.) artists play instruments and perform original material, I would like to remind folks that the only time original material has been performed on the X-Factor was when Chico performed his physics bothering anthem Chico Time.

Stand Still consists of ten well-crafted acoustic led songs. At 27 Emma is an artist who has both found her sound and who’s songs have lost little through their studio arrangements which though loaded with instruments have maintained something of a DIY sound particularly noticeable in the steel guitar featured on the track soul of oceans. There is nothing revolutionary on this album and her being both Scottish and talented will lead to fair comparisons to KT Tunstal and even Texas.

The album is top heavy in quality and by the midway point interest does begin to wain however this CD would sit comfortably in a dinner party play list holding its own against Norah Jones, KT Tunstal and Corrin Bailly Rae.

Suzi:Won www.myspace.com/suziwon

I was in a band once. We weren’t what critics would describe as good but we had a fucking fantastic time doing it and would enthuse about it in the boorish way that people in bands do. Knowing that this was once me I am always happy to hear about amateur bands and love the enthusiasm that their members show when telling anyone who will listen about their influences and when their next gig is. I came across a member of Suzi:Won when he was working in a Chemist. I work for a newspaper and upon hearing this contact details and a myspace account were pushed into my palm all of the time while I protested that I probably couldn’t help. As it turned out I couldn’t help but I thought I might contribute to their presence in what little way I can by talking a little about them here.

I haven’t been on Myspace for a long time and I know you probably won’t have either. Well let me tell you it is still fucking ugly, with colour schemes that even a grandmother wouldn’t describe as bold and page designs that frankly boggle the mind in terms of the prominence of various items. However I really should move onto the music.

Suzi:Won are based in Newcastle England and produce what they describe as Electro Rock but what others may describe as Electro Emo. No don’t stop reading come back here! Playing in Phantom of the Opera style masks (what isn’t to love) singing fantastically camp lyrics (“Your hitting me with your hands/I’m hitting back with my heart”) and choruses that wouldn’t sound out of place in a piece of 90’s hard house this band have a sense of fun so often lacking in rock music of any sub-genre.

In a Day is a song that wouldn’t be out of place in a Hollywood version of an American teen party. Pop synths, intersect with reverb laden guitar to produce a sound that at first sounds epic before inducing chair dancing with the introduction of the drums. High production values help to mask slightly nasal vocals but by the time you have heard the chorus this doesn’t matter as you are hooked by the good time pop sensibility of the thing.

Now Iz Us is not a good name for a song and falls only slightly below Sk8r Boi in my imaginary worst song titles ever list. However unlike Sk8r Boi the song its self has merit with some lovely sustained guitars, euro synths and 80’s hard rock bass drum sounds. Whilst the song isn’t as instantly arresting as ‘In a Day’ it maintains its high production values and musicianship. Vocals remain high in the mix and the song serves to remind me of Men Women and Children, The Bravery and maybe even some less-dance centric of The Rapture’s early material.

Taking it Back maintains a heavier rock sound throughout with stretched lyrics and the same brand of silky production that first brought Linkin Park and Lost Prophets screaming into the mainstream my only hope is that they haven’t come to this party a little too late.
Broken Rock Stars starts with some wonderful glitch synth sounds that form the dirty underbelly of the track which ultimately lacks a hook. A nice synth breakdown and half time drums in the middle of the song showcases the big sound that this band can craft but ultimately they seem torn between the easy pop sounds of In a Day and this more musically mature (though not necessarily as interesting) style.

All in all an album may be a bit much for me at this stage but their big sound and sing a long choruses should see them gain a good reputation as a live band and from there I am sure a great album will follow.

Suzi : Won will be playing at the Riverside on February the 5th for more details check their Myspace.

White Lies new effort will be the next album up in front of the firing squad.

No comments:

Post a Comment