Fluff and Toenails: Mainstream Media, Indie Opinion

Above all of the fluff and the toenails floats a melody, some rhythms, flickering pictures, a sensation to be had. Capture it in your computer, buy it on your high street or cram it in your senses from hijacked radio waves. Our subject is everywhere so let us pick at it like a favourite scab.

Monday will find me blogging on TV, Thursday on Film and the Weekends on Music.

Thursday 20 August 2009

Florence and the Machine:Lungs:6/10


Lets start off by chasing the hype and examining one of the years most industry pimped releases, Florence and the Machine's debut album Lungs.

I, like many of my easily led friends, was immensely looking forward to this release. Ever since I first had my ears slapped about by the questionable morality of the throw away first single 'kiss with a fist' my attention has been pricked when ever I have heard her name. Since then two further singles have leapt up radio playlists, album opener 'dog days are over' and the unlikely dance tinged Rabbit Heart (check the Jamie T remix).

Looking at the track listing on the bus I prepared myself for disappointment as I noted the prominence of the two most recent singles (track one and two). For me this is never a good sign. However, once in the CD player I settled with my over sized muzo headphones and was instantly struck with the realisation that FATM's place isn't on a crackling car stereo. Opener 'dog days are over' blew me away with its delicate layers of instrumentation. Not only are the arrangements subtle in their substance they are also performed on an array of instruments which demonstrates that following the crowd certainly isn't what this band are going for. 'I'm not calling you a liar' follows this theme but without the ninja hooks of the preceeding singles. Then 'Kiss with a fist' makes a hell of a racket with all its DIY charm before the album shifts to a middle section which acts as a showcase for FATM's raw vocal talent and songwriting skills. The pick of this middle section is 'the girl with one eye' in which the vocal reigns are left dangling. However with so many tricks let out of the box so early I was left feeling ambivalence towards the rest of the album. Lyrically the album has some good narratives (my boy makes coffins)and a dollop of warm twee (breath between two lungs) but is ultimately not memorable.

This album serves as a classic example of the fact that some things can end up being less than the sum of their parts. There are few bad tracks here and many excellent ones but somehow when listened to in succession boredom sets in. However, along with the simular Bat for Lashes the ambition shown should be applauded. 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment